Let's talk about: Love, Death & Robots - Part 1

I think I am starting to warm up to Netflix shows a lot lately, interesting titles are available to binge watch on.
One peculiar show came up and for some reason I was simply drawn to it like a moth to a flame, it surprised me and I am happy that I watched it.


This show is called "Love, Death & Robots", its a series which each episode contains a different story. Each story has its own style, narrative and are not related to the previous one, I do not recommend this show to youngsters under the age of 15 and in many cases under the age of 18, due to the graphical images, nudity, language and violence, but it is a show that one can enjoy and it serves different interesting criteria, so I am positive people would enjoy it and find something that entertains them, each episode is around 15 minutes approx. which is perfect for a show like this one.

Now for my own thoughts about the show:
When it comes to the graphics: It's a refreshing look on the use of 2D and 3D elements, sometimes used together giving a very in-depth feel and space, i like how each episode has it's own style, making you think that you are watching a different show each single time.




A deep dive into each episode:
WARNING: SPOILER ALERT!!! 

Each episode has its's own plot twist and title icon, I'm mentioning this here so I don't have to repeat myself :p #LazySquad




1- Sonnie's Edge: Oh....My....God! this is a great way to start the series, it's full of action and betrayal! Sonnie is such a strong woman, that has a backstory which was well thought of and executed in a matter of 5 - 10 minutes.




2- Three Robots: What do you get with a baby monitor, xBox's off-spring and a ....pyramid robot that acts like a basic white girl (this is a joke people, I am a basic white girl too, so I know one when I see one XD)?  well the answer is a very interesting trio that accidentally gained a pet cat! this episode just made me fall in love with them and their humor, its a very fun watch and I'm sure you would enjoy it too! (also I have a theory on why they chose xBox......are they trying to say "PC Master race" since xBox is a apart of Microsoft :p )





3- The Witness: I do not have much to say about this episode, except it is definitely not for kids to watch, I believe this was mostly fan service, but the animation here was just.....intense. I love it!





4- Suits: Let's just say....I am glad I don't live there! with this episode I felt like I was watching a very serious wreck it Ralph Vs Cy-Bugs with a touch of any machina franchise. Interesting episode and I simply loved each character in it, basically they brought very well known action+romance character tropes, you have the hero, his strong willed love interest, the brute, the comic relief, but here they had their own sparkle and it was simply beautiful. also the whole episode looked like a painting, that has added more charm to it.
(Jake is the MVP!)





5- Sucker of souls: pretty gore-y for a 2D sketchbook style animation, I feel like this episode could be a prequel to a story a writer friend of mine wrote called "Cuteness Overload" (and I totally recommend that book, you can buy it by following the link I attached to the name), of course if you are a cat lover, you most likely would enjoy this episode #CatsAreEmperors

guy 1: isn't that a type of car?
guy 2: THAT'SAN IMPALA ......
guy 1: oh...

Doc: I am an archaeologist, not a tactician!
Flynn: well, I am an ex-soldier not Buffy the Vampire slayer!

Need I say more?




6- When the Yogurt Took Over: to keep it simple, what once was a lactose-intolerant horror story, became world-wide terror .... it's a funny episode, just watch it (Also somewhat political, I mean....it's definitely subliminally political)




7- Beyond the Aquila Rift: firstly, I wanna know, who did they base their models on and who is the texturiser , because the models in this episode feels so real, I feel like I can simply touch their skin ! good job!
I think this was the first time I felt somewhat heartbroken, a bit empty and just felt like characters were as good as dead and what ever that was caring for them was just putting their death at bay for a short while ....




8- Good Hunting: can I just start by saying that to me this episode had such a good ending to it?
It was extremely satisfying! Maybe that just me and how I advocate women power and self defence, I don't condone killing, but I do see how rapists and colonizers should get punished for their negative actions!
And before you say "oh she was a prostitute", "she signed up for that", yes, she may have signed up to sell her body for a living, but cutting it up and altering it to YOUR pleasure is not a part of the deal!! He drugged her and kidnapped her then proceeded to rape her when she said stop!
I was extremely happy that she decided to be somewhat a vigilante after that ... the magic may be gone, but you can still make your own....






9- The Dump: first thought? Pixar gone into adulthood...
What can I say... "one man's trash is another man's treasure
That's all I can say for this one really ...


Let us take a break here.. this show is truly something else, though I recommend to enjoy it piece by piece, instead of hogging it all in one go as how I did, you would find your self really boggled by it... 

Comments

Popular Posts